Methow At Home Background
Across the nation, communities are coming together developing villages because they are a proven, economical strategy to help independent people remain in their homes and communities as long as possible.
The concept of a “Virtual Village” started with one group of seniors in a Boston community 15 years ago. Since then, the village concept has been successfully implemented in 190 communities with 185 currently in development! Read more about these at http://vtvnetwork.org
A variety of solutions to assist seniors have been examined in recent years in the Methow. In 2013, we began to explore the “virtual village” concept for the Methow. We conducted focus groups, joined the national Village to Village Network, developed a strategic plan, and are launching a "village" for the Methow.
The main goal of Methow At Home is to offer volunteer services to its members and provide a resource of paid providers that its members can hire if the requested service is beyond the scope of a volunteer.
As a member, Methow At Home can offer you a variety of services based on member needs and preferences. These can include things like:
- Transportation to medical appointments, shopping, errands, social and educational events
- Household support including minor handy person services, light housekeeping, light gardening or snow shoveling
- Personal support including pet walking, social support with a home visit, meal preparation, temporary respite care and help de-cluttering
- Technical support for PC's or Mac's and other electronics, bill paying assistance
- Referral to vetted professionals (paid by the members directly) such as handy persons, plumbers, and electricians when the requested service is beyond the scope of a volunteer
- Sponsorship of educational activities such as speakers on topics of interest to members
- Social events, walking opportunities, potlucks, and more!
Dues for individuals are $240/year, couples pay $360/year.